Celebrating Life Saver Event

Michigan Family Saved from high levels of Carbon Monoxide in their home

ADT LLC, a leading provider of security and automation solutions for homes and businesses, has celebrated one of its life saver events in Bloomfield Hills, MI where the Brodsky family was reunited with rescuers who helped them safeguard from carbon monoxide.

“The ADT carbon monoxide detector activated and I thought it was a false alarm because of the chemicals being used on the carpets,” said Brodsky, “So, when the ADT dispatcher called, I tried to persuade him to cancel the emergency response.”

What Brodsky couldn’t realize was the elevated levels of carbon monoxide caused by the gas being pumped into the house from the engine exhaust of the carpet cleaning vehicle. With it parked near an open garage door and the wind was blowing just right, the potentially deadly fumes were flowing inside, permeating the house.

When Bloomfield Township firefighters arrived, they used a portable air monitor to confirm the lethal levels.

“Had it not been the persistence of the ADT dispatcher and first responders, my family and I could have gone to bed that night and not woken up,” said Brodsky.

To celebrate the life-saving rescue, ADT CEO Tim Whall presented LifeSaver Awards to seven ADT employees who played a part in helping save the Brodsky family, including dispatcher Greg Drinnen who flew in from ADT’s customer care center in Knoxville, TN to meet the Brodsky’s for the first time.

“This was a great example of how all of us at ADT help save lives for a living,” said Drinnen who typically handles more than a hundred alarm calls a day, “I am glad my training paid off and the Brodsky family will continue making memories.”

Whall also awarded $10,000 to Bloomfield Township Fire Department which will use a portion of the funds to buy more hand-held air monitors to detect gases in homes and businesses.

According to the CDC, 500 Americans die every year from carbon monoxide and up to 50,000 are poisoned. It’s estimated only 30% of American homes have CO detectors.

Leave a Reply